Monday, November 26, 2007

Sheltered Dreams




I once dreamed of a house, a home, something more than to shelter my needs but to illustrate my perspective of a real living. Walls and roofs that envelope a what I valued most. A home for family. In Filipino “tahanan”. Literally speaking, it means a place to shed your tears. For most Filipinos, a home is a significant sanctuary for building the personality of an individual because the values are cored into the family which we all consider as the basic unit of the society. For almost five years of being involved in the practice of planning homes as an architecture student, I’ve found that that a dream house is indefinite. It is only defined by the boundaries of contentment of its inhabitants. As I have remembered in the book “The Most Beautiful House in the World” by Witold Rybzinski (not quite sure about the spelling) his boat-building project eventually became his house in the end of the story having the house as a concrete monument of his childhood dream of sailing.
This is my own interpretation of “tahanan” as of today. An evolution of my design abilities (my mentors say it’s not yet evolved), sense of taste, value for people and sleepless days and nights. It has four bedrooms, a balcony, library, a cozy family room, living room and maid’s room. Come and take it as an experience.

No comments: